Saturday, October 30, 2010

10K

Last Sunday Jonathan and I ran a 10K together!  Wow!  This is a pretty amazing feat for me.  I don't think I've ever run that much before in my life!  Jonathan ran it last year and the year before but this was my first time and he stayed with me the whole time.  What a guy. 

Back in the spring when Jonathan convinced me to sign up with him for this I started doing a program called Couch to 5K with these podcasts.  It's great!  It starts you off very slowly running and walking at short intervals and works you up to running for 30 minutes straight.  I got off track when the heat of the summer started and all of our visitors started arriving.  About 8 weeks ago my good friend Kim started doing the same program and is keeping a blog about it.  Seeing her get out with her two little ones inspired me to get back out there and keep going with the program so I picked it back up and I've been running with her (Ok, from afar, she doesn't live over here!) the past several weeks.  

We're on week 7 which has you running 25 minutes straight so I wasn't sure how far I'd be able to go considering this was a 10K and I was working toward half of that!  I did great (if I do say so myself)!  We ran more than 6 kilometers before I wanted to stop and walk a little but we were back to running before we hit the 7 kilometer marker and we ran the rest of the way.  The last K was the hardest but we were so close to the end that I couldn't stop! 

I have to say that it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  I think there were more than 10,000 participants - wow!!  We got shirts (rather ugly this year, I must say) and water and fruit at the end and a medal - yes, I now have a running medal!  Are you proud or what?  The run goes mainly along the coast but has some pretty big hills too.  It was quite a feat for me to accomplish this.  I might even be willing to do it again! 

Unfortunately we can't find our camera battery charger ANYWHERE so I can't upload the 1 picture we took of the two of us.  You really should see the color of these shirts - ugly.  The good news is that if we wear them at night we're sure to never get hit by a car - they're impossible not to see.  And 10,000 people in this color... wow. 

3 comments:

susan said...

WELL DONE!!! What an accomplishment!! I'm really looking forward to seeing these shirts now. =) You've gotten my expectations quite high. Or maybe I should say quite low. =)

Larry said...

Your favorite father-in-law is VERY impressed! Your husband has convinced me to do a few crazy things as well....like rappelling over a cliff! More adventures to come for you! We are proud!

Trisha said...

WOW!!! I am SO proud of you Traci!!! I've been wondering how you did with the 10K because the Couch Potato only goes to 5K. You are such a stud! I am inspired for sure!!