Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Learning...

Tonight we did something I bet you've never done before.

We went to our first birth preparation class. In Portuguese! Yikes!

You know, when I thought about having children I didn't picture giving birth in a language other than English. Well, our doctor speaks English but there's no guarantee she'll be there for sure when I deliver - doctors do go on vacation and that kind of thing - and there's no way of knowing if anyone else like the nurses or other staff will speak English either. So, I guess it's a good thing we're learning the words for this in Portuguese! What an adventure!

It went well. There's only four other couples and the instructor was really nice. And it's right down the street from our apartment!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for being prepared! I was NOT prepared for my doctor to speak only German during the delivery (since I know he can speak English well) and it made it pretty frustrating when I didn't understand some of the directions he was giving me at the most stressful pushing point.

But you are so smart to learn the words in advance... cuz they sure don't teach those to you in language school! =) You will do so great, and Jonathan will be a super coach!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting! And how challenging! It's great that you're learning so much about the process now, and improving your language at the same time...

It's nice that it's a small class. Do you feel like you can stop and ask questions if you need to?