Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent

I have to admit that I am rather proud of myself that I actually thought about doing something for Advent leading up to Christmas this year - before December actually started! 

Now that our girls are getting a little older I want to make sure to build some family traditions that really point to Jesus as being the reason for Christmas.  All of the other stuff is fun but I don't want the real meaning of Christmas to get lost in all the rest.  So there's one main, significant thing that we're doing and two just for fun things to go along with it. 

For the girls I got the 99 cent chocolate advent calendars from the grocery store and they are LOVING getting a little piece of chocolate every morning. 

Try explaining that we want to actually see their faces, not the boxes of candy.  Oh well!

 I was super excited when I heard about this as a Christmas gift for Jonathan.  You might not know this but my husband still loves Legos - and this is a Lego advent calendar!  He gets to open a new figure or piece to build every day - how fun is that?!  Katie loves getting to see what's in each new box every day.  It's pretty cute to see them playing together. 
I'm am very blessed with a terrific husband who also happens to be a wonderful father...

This is the more serious - point us all to Jesus advent activity.  I got the idea from a book called Treasuring God in Your Traditions and then I saw several blogs of moms who have adapted it to their little ones. 
The idea is that we started with an empty stable and every day we add a new piece to the scene.  Every day you reread the parts for the previous days so the story keeps building.  It starts with, "Jesus is the greatest present of all..."  I wasn't able to find a scene that had the number of pieces needed to cover all of the days so I quickly improvised by getting pictures from one of our kid's Bibles.  It's not exactly the set I'd love to use forever but it's working great for now. 
 Here we are on day 8 - waiting for Jesus!
Praying that these sweet girls understand the real reason for all of this celebrating!  Jesus is the greatest present of all!!!

No comments: