Saturday, November 3, 2007

Priority

Here's another fun cultural tid-bit for you. You'll find signs like these posted in lots of public places around here like government offices or the DMV or the grocery store (where I took this picture - and yes, that's Teri in the background).

People - especially women - carrying small children, pregnant women, and disabled people get "prioridade" - priority - in lines.

If you hadn't noticed, I fall into one of those three categories. Man has it been helpful sometimes! We recently had to do the paperwork for our Portuguese drivers licenses. Just like the DMV back home, the lines here are long and slow! We got to cut in front of about 100 people because I have "priority!"

This has also been a little embarrassing from time to time. It's SO great to have everyone stare at and make a big deal about the pregnant lady especially when she doesn't necessarily understand what's going on!

This is actually a law here (like the yellow reflector vests!) but I'm not sure where all it applies. It does apply on all public transportation like the metro, buses, and trains. There's little signs like this posted next to the best seats on the bus and people could actually be fined if they don't stand up and give me their seat! At first when people offered me their seat and I really felt fine, I felt bad taking it. But I quickly figured out it was better to just say thank you and sit down because whenever I'd say no, I'm fine thanks, they'd keep asking or someone else would offer and practically force me into the seat.

Then again there are the times when there are able-bodies looking men sitting down and no one offers their seat. Come on! There's an 8 month pregnant lady standing here, buddy! :-)

Of course all of the women push me to the front of the line in public bathrooms. There's even designated parking places at the mall and in major parking lots! It's great!

We think this would be one of the cultural things Portuguese people would find strange in the US, that we don't automatically give priority to people in these categories.

It's a major plus to being pregnant here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's fantastic. I think that law should be put into place in the US. I found that some people would let me go to the front of the bathroom line when I was pregnant, but not often. Now that Ezra is here I would love to have priority to get in and out of stores quickly when he's not wanting to be there. Enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy. We can't wait to see pictures of your new little one!
Love,
Christie Murray (Janet's daughter-in-law)

Anonymous said...

We need more of those signs over here! All we get is priority parking at Babies R Us.