Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tummy Shot!

Oh this poor neglected 3rd child!  I'm 27 weeks pregnant and last week I took the first tummy shot of this whole pregnancy!  I think I took one every month with Katie!  But I figure, I'm a 3rd born and I turned out alright so this little man will do fine. 


With the big sisters!

My pergnancy is going well so far.  My doctor is great.  She's the same one who deliviered both of the girls so I am very comfortable with her.  When I had an appointment in September I asked her when I should come see her again and she said, "Oh, I think you could call me when you start having contractions and we'd be ok."  Nice!  Don't worry, I've seen her once since then and I'll see her again in December so we're keeping things regular.  It's just nice that she is not a stressful person to deal with (as a lot of medical professionals here have been - in my experience!). 

One thing that has been interesting now that I'm very obviously showing is the reaction from people here that we're having our 3rd child.  Most families here have one maybe two children.  And they're often spread out with a big gap in their ages.  Partly it's financial and partly it seems like it has become cultural to have small families.  This seems to be a trend all across Western Europe. 

So now people see me walking around with my two cute girls and I often see them glance back and stare at my belly.  It's pretty common for people to make comments too, not just stare.  "Wow!  3 children!  That's a lot of work!"  I even had an elderly woman at church pull me aside and tell me very seriously that we really needed to stop after this one.  She said that it's just too much work.  3 is enough.  And she encouraged me to go home and seriously think about what she said.  Wow!  That's pretty bold!

I've mentioned before that poeple here are just more blunt than us Americans (at least Southern Californians) tend to be.  It's not unusal to have people comment on your weight or how you look.  I had a friend ask me what happened to my hair when I got it cut too short a few months ago.  I just don't think we'd say those kinds of things to each other in So Cal.  We're too worried about being polite and not stepping on toes.  I have to say, I wouldn't mind if people worried about stepping on my toes a little more over here!  I'm getting a little tired of the looks and comments and the baby isn't even here yet!  But I guess that I'd better get used to it because it's not going to change! 

We're very excited for you to come join our family, little man!  Even if you'll make us stand out even more! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun post! =) You look great!! And I think you will more than survive with three kiddos. =) I hear you - small families are the norm over in these parts too.

Laura said...

You look beautiful, Traci! And think you should shock all those Europeans by having lots more babies! =o)

Camille Kehoe said...

In Italy not only was I at least a decade and a half younger than all moms there but it was my second baby. I had nurses asking me if I had help and if the father was going to be supporting us. It definitely gets tiring and it didn't get any better when I explained that it was a little different in the US and we were just passing through. Hang in there Traci your family is beautiful!