Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wow - We're Back!

I can't believe that 6 months just went by so quickly!  Amazing.  We had a great time in California - and the other parts of the US we visited - and it was so great to see so many people we love.

I know I need to reflect on it all more so I thought I'd start writing some thoughts down.

Today I thought I'd list a couple of things that were new/strange for Katie since she hadn't been in the US since she was less than a year old.  I realized that a lot of these things are just differences between living in the city and living in the suburbs but I that's a whole other set of cultural differences that we deal with so it fits right in! 

1. Garages connected to the house.  When we first arrived we were at my parents' house and I walked out the front door to get something from the car and I came back in the door that connects to the garage.  Katie was so confused!  How did I get way over there?

2. Front doors in general.  She didn't get that it wasn't a good idea to just walk out the front door on her own whenever she noticed it was open.  This happened a couple of times at Jonathan's parents' house the first day or two.  Thankfully they live on a nice, quiet street!

3.  Drinking fountains attached to the wall. Oh I wish I had a picture of this one!  We were at church and Katie ducked under the drinking fountain trying to figure out where the water came from.  I guess we don't have many water fountains over here! 

4.  "They speak English too!"  When we went to the park the first several times she was so amazed that the other people were speaking English too!  Not just us!

5.  A backyard...  Wow - I'm going to miss that one.  Maybe someday...

6.  A garden!  My dad had Katie help plant some vegetables in his garden and she just loved watching them grow!  At first I think she thought they would sprout up right away but then realized that it would take a while...

I'm sure there were lots more but that's all my tired, jet-lagged brain can think of right now!

Hey- I've been having trouble leaving comments on other people's blogs!  Have you?  When they ask for a security password thing then they keep making me sign in when I'm already signed in!  Does mine do that?  Does yours?  How do I fix it????

2 comments:

Traci said...

Trying to post a comment... Let;s see if it works! -ME

Laura said...

Fun post, Traci! Always fun to see life through the eyes of our little friends. =o)