Monday, May 17, 2010

The Bata

Back when Katie started at pre-school I mentioned that the kids all wear matching smocks, called batas. I don't think I ever got a picture of Katie in her's up here so I thought I'd share this one now.

She's wearing it at home because on Fridays we bring them home to wash them for the next week. All of the kids are matching except that the boys' button in the front - much more masculine, right? Different schools have different colored batas but most are checked or plaid. Some are cuter than others. :-) I think they're worn at least until 4th or 5th grade.

Katie loves wearing her bata and doesn't really know that it's possible to go to school without one!



When we went to the zoo with the visiting grandparents there were tons of day care and school groups there because it was Easter Vacation. I took this picture because it shows how not only do the kids have matching batas but they also have matching hats. If you look closely you can see that there are 3 or 4 different groups in this picture clearly identified by their hats.

Hats are VERY important around here. At the beach your child can wear nothing at all but have a hat on and he's ok. All good parents always make sure their child is wearing a hat when they're outdoors in the sun or when it's cold, so pretty much all the time! I've been reprimanded by elderly women on the street for a lack of hat on one of my girls.


2 comments:

susan said...

I love learning cultural things!! I love the batas too. At Savannah's kindergarten, all the kids remove their shoes and put on house shoes as soon as they arrive. I like it. =)

Trisha said...

great post!!! I think team Shoe should get matching batas for when they travel. hee hee